Monday, December 5, 2011

Let the packing begin

It is T-2 weeks and I have finally started to think about what I need right away at home vs what can come in our sea shipment in two months. My list started with clothes and my commercial grade blender and has now expanded to include linens (obviously) and towels (again, obviously). Then of course there are toys for Declan, and my pillow, duvet, some kitchen supplies and the list just keeps getting longer and longer. Luckily we have 360kg of air shipment available to us so we can get some stuff home a week or so after we get there.

Aside from the packing there is quite a bit to think of. We need to make sure we empty our local bank accounts, ensure the gas in the car is no higher than 1/4 tank. The huge job is making sure our belongings are all in our inventory with replacement prices and year of purchase as well as supervising the wrapping and packing of all our effects. It's daunting but we will get through it.

So as I think about leaving I have also been thinking about the things I will miss as well as the things I will not.

Things I will not miss;

-missing family and friends
-erratic drivers with a lack of laws and traffic signals
-beggars and street vendors hounding me constantly
-avocados that do not taste like avocados
-the lack of choice in produce
-the lack of any meat at any given time not to mention the toughness and gaminess of the meat
-bad restaurants at exorbitant prices
-bugs everywhere
-malaria
-parasites and gastrointestinal problems

Things I will miss;

-Ross
-the mangos
-seeing the ocean every day
-the climate
-having help around the house (especially since I will be on my own and pregnant for a bit)
-Not having to warm up the car

Things I'm looking forward to;

-Seasons
-activities for children under the age of 5
-groceries that make sense to me
-living in my own home with my own furniture
-seeing family and friends regularly
-Ross taking a year off work
-bike paths

So basically I'm looking forward to coming home.There are some things I will miss but not nearly as much as the things I have been missing.

Living overseas has been a fantastic opportunity and has allowed us to do things we never would have had the chance to do but it is time to come home. We are all looking forward to the next chapter of our lives back in Canada with friends and family and lots of new memories.



No comments:

Post a Comment